Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I'm going to be published!

A few years ago I read a "call for stories" from the Chicken Soup for the Soul book people. They were working on putting out a book on divorce and wanted people to send in their personal stories.

I read this at a time when I was finally moving on from my divorce...and finding a peaceful place in my heart...so, I began to write my thoughts down.

The words poured out of me as I told my story of moving from sadness and angst to a place of calmness and joy after the divorce. This was right about the time that my grandson was born...and I had made a decision that eventually allowed my ex and I to reunite as friends. While I may have initially made those decisions for the sake of my kids...these behaviors actually ended up coming back to me in so many positive ways.

The writing was so cathartic for me as I put my feelings into words...It felt so good to be able to express my own personal journey of getting through the sadness of divorce after over 30 years of being married....and landing on the "other side" of all of the pain.

I began to think that my words might actually help others finding themselves in this same position.....so...

...I decided to send it in to the Chicken Soup people.

Several months later I received a letter telling me that my story was being considered for inclusion in the book. I had to clarify some information....and send it back to them.

I was cautiously excited, but knowing that they received thousands of stories for their books I tried to remain realistic about my chances.

Well, fast forward almost two years later...and I received another letter asking me to proofread my story and sign some releases... in that I was still being considered for publication. I did this....and waited...afraid to get too excited.

Then, yesterday, I received a congratulatory letter from the Chicken Soup editors telling me that the book will be out on October 7, 2008...and that my story will be part of it!!!

Now, I am excited!

Watch out J.K. Rowling!!!!

(P.S. If any of you come upon the book when it does come out, the name of my story is "Breathe". ) : )

8 comments:

Beverly said...

I'm excited for you. Those books reach a wide audience.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Grammie! That is great. Your writings are so thoughtful and inspiring, I am not suprised at all. You have lots of talent. That's why we readers just keep coming back for more!!!

On another note - how are Janet & Jeffrey - I am thinking the birth is right around the corner??? Let us know how that is going when you get a chance!

Take Care,
Steph

Beverly said...

congratulations! That is so neat when you can take a negative event and turn it into a positive experience, well, meaning you get published. I do know from experience that it is a sad time in everyone's life....

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Congratulations grammy! I am sure that your story is inspiring for those that have to go through such a hard time.

L. said...

Thanks so much, ladies! : )

Steph....Janet and Jeffrey are doing great....more to come on them as soon as I get some recent pictures. She said that she is getting really big....and very excited about the upcoming due date of the 20th of September!! I already have my plane reservations!! Thanks for asking...
xoxo
Grammie

Clara....in TN said...

Oh that's exciting....I will be looking for it to be in the shelves!

JeanMac said...

That's terrific - I'm sure your story will help many others.

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

I will be looking forward to your artical in the upcoming book.
My divorce was after 23 years and I have taken the solo journey for almost 27 years. Like you shared "I had to make some sort of peace for my children and grandchildrens sake". But also that person who was my mate I no longer can relate to. See what growing wiser can do for you. Guess I was not very wise at age 20.
But who is.
Have a great day.