Thursday, August 07, 2008

Journeys

"Life begins as a quest of the child for the man and ends as a journey by the man to rediscover the child." Laurens Van Der Post

This quote seemed to really fit the photo that Adam recently sent to me.

Jenny is "guiding" Owen on the path as he joyfully rides on his little tricycle.

It made me think about the "journeys" that we each take as we go through life....So, as I post today I am trying to figure out why I am thinking about all of this...

Maybe it is because the "girlies" (and, my three sisters and Mom!) are beginning to plan for my upcoming 60th birthday which is causing me to focus on my age and how much of my journey has already been lived...and forcing me to look towards the future and all of the adventures still ahead of me...

Maybe it is because I am now a grandmother watching my beautiful grandchildren explore unventured paths as they begin their own journeys...with so many wonderful experiences yet to be lived.

Possibly it is because I lost Dad this year and I am finding myself reminiscing about his personal journey of almost 90 years. I miss his quiet presence in my life every day.

Maybe it is because Mom moved out of her condo and into an "Independent Living" home...where she has been starting on her new journey in life. I am so proud of how well she has adapted....even though I know that this hasn't been easy for her.

Maybe it is because my sons and their wives are dealing with their own personal journeys right now...one moving to a new home and facing those challenges...as well as happily and excitedly awaiting the birth of their first born....while the others are quickly learning about being parents of a toddler and a newborn.

Maybe it is because I am still dreaming about what I want to be when I grow up...and, all of the things that I still want to accomplish in my life...I have so many passions that I have yet unearthed.

Maybe it is because my divorce continues to be something that I think about...even though several years have passed and I feel so much stronger and more independent as the years go by.

Maybe it is because time seems to be moving so much faster at this point in my life...and, I can't do anything to slow down its progression.

Maybe there isn't just one reason for my thinking about "journeys" right now.

Maybe, I am just in an introspective mood today and this is where my thoughts are taking me...

Maybe...

2 comments:

Beverly said...

I do believe your thoughts are universal. That could be my blog with some minor changes...

I loved seeing the world through my children's eyes when they were little, and now, with Ella.

I'm a bit further in my journey than you as far as years go, but I still think about "what I want to do when I grow up."...maybe not as much as I did before.

Life does move much too quickly when we reach these years, doesn't it.

A very thoughtful post.

JeanMac said...

Such a good post - we are all on the journey.