Friday, August 15, 2008

Off to college....

After a long and arduous drive from S. Florida to Birmingham, my nephew and his dad (my brother-in-law) arrived here late last night.

Armed with a suitcase full of "Alabama Roll Tide" t-shirts and other paraphernalia, Braden is getting ready to be a part of the large freshman class at the University of Alabama. Since I am only a 45 minute drive from Tuscaloosa, Birmingham was a good stopping point and place to get rested for a busy weekend ahead.

I fed them a home-cooked meal...baked some homemade "Grammie" cookies...and they got settled in. Dad Marty fell asleep on the couch almost immediately, while Braden managed to stay up late and watch the Olympics. Ah, youth!

As they got ready to head to the campus early this morning, my thoughts went back to a time when I was first leaving for the University of Florida. I nervously went to Gainesville, Florida, all packed up....and on the train. It is a huge state school and it was quite intimidating facing the large crowds of arriving students on my own.

I do remember meeting a guy that first day waiting in line for my class schedule. It seemed like we were in line forever....so, we got acquainted....and later even dated for a while (!). I also recall that waiting in line was something that I pretty much did most of those first few days...whether it was for supplies, student loan money, id cards, etc. etc. Patience was certainly a virtue those first days of being a college freshman.

As Braden left this morning carrying his backpack filled with his i-pod, a hand-held computer, and a cell phone...I had to laugh at how different things are for kids nowadays. Even this big state school that he is going to seems to be less intimidating with these 21st century necessities...and, I bet that with so much of everything computerized these days, the long lines have even become extinct!

So, as I sent them off this morning with a ziplock filled with cookies and a "Roll Tide"....my hope is that Braden will have a wonderful college experience as he begins this new chapter in his life...

1 comment:

Princess said...

Grammie, I thought I was reading my own journal, except that this one is more organized than mine (chuckle)....
Congratulations to your nephew and more especially to his parents.