Monday, September 22, 2008

Saying "good-bye"...

Dear Celia. I am trying to take in as much of you as I can today.

I will hold you a little more closely as I breathe in that wonderful "new baby smell" that you wear so well.

I will look into your eyes a little more intently with the hope that you will somehow remember me until we are together again.

I will prolong the times that I am able to give you a bottle so that I can remember how warm and cuddly you feel in my arms.

I will enjoy watching you attempt to hold that little head up with the strength of a child much older than your 13 days on this earth.

I will continue to soothe you with my songs sung gently into your tiny ears when we are alone.

I will listen closely to the wonderful little sounds that you make so that I can replay them in my head when I am back home.

I will watch with joy as you kick those tiny little legs and swing your long arms...as I try to memorize all of your "moves" to play back in my mind when I need a smile.

All of this is important today because tomorrow I will be heading back home to Birmingham.

This is always the hard, but necessary, part for a Grammie who lives far away.

I have to leave you until the next time...but, lucky for me, I will be carrying so much of you with me as I go.

You are a precious baby who lucked into having incredibly loving parents staying behind to care for you.

But, with all that being said, I will miss you terribly...it has been a great week...thank you for filling me with such joy and letting me fall deeply in love with you.

Be a good girl.

Love and kisses,

Your Grammie