Thursday, October 30, 2008

Thursday

I looked over at the clock on the nightstand.

The digital numbers were showing "4:00 A.M.". I rubbed my eyes and looked at it again...but, nothing had changed.

So, I laid there trying to get back to sleep for a while...all to no avail.

Suddenly, I heard a noise outside of my bedroom window. It sounded like someone or something was trying to get into a plastic container of sorts...and moving it around my backyard patio. After trying to ignore it for a while, I finally gave in and went downstairs to check things out.

As I turned on the outside lights, a "masked" pair of eyes looked up at me as if to say: "What???". It was a HUGE raccoon and it didn't seem bothered by my presence or the bright light or the loud knocking that I was now doing on the glass.

He continued to "work" at the container...stopping once in a while to glance my way. He was fearless...so, I finally gave up and headed back upstairs...Grammie 0----Raccoon 1

*****************************************************************************

Karen and I went to see "The Duchess" yesterday with some of the girlies. Keira Knightley was in it and she is a fabulous actress as well as absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous. If there is an afterlife...I want to come back as her. : )

****************************************************************************

Karen brought me some wonderful gifts when she came to visit including a great-looking glass candy dish that is filled with some of those new M & M's...you know, the fancy ones that they have now come out with. These have a layer of dark chocolate, a layer of white chocolate...and the middle is the regular M & M milk chocolate. OH MY goodness...they are delectable. Make sure and try these out next time you are out shopping...Mmmmmm.

****************************************************************************

On a not so happy note, my dear friend Gary (Sharon's hubby) lost him mother late yesterday. She has been in a nursing home in St. Louis for the last few years and had several health issues at the end. Thankfully, Gary was able to be at her side before she passed away. Sending love and hugs to you and your family, Gar. I'm so sorry for your loss...

***************************************************************************

Mom's birthday is on Tuesday and I found a great little gift for her today. She keeps telling us that she doesn't want any more "things"...but, I think that she will like this one. It is a carrying bag that is clear and has a ribbon for handles. I am going to fill the little pockets with pictures of her great grandbabies. She can carry her knitting in it when she goes to her class at the home and do a little showing off.....

***************************************************************************

Another gorgeous fall day here in Birmingham....Karen and I had fun just running around and doing some shopping. We both agreed that it was good exercise...

***************************************************************************

: )

2 comments:

JeanMac said...

You make me feel so much better:shopping is exercise:)

Granny Annie said...

My Sil feeds racoons and her neighborhood hates her for it. The varmits actually come to the back door and knock for their daily bread. Sure, it's cute but we keep telling her it's also dangerous.

You did good on your gift for you mom. We always had to think long and hard for something special for mother because she certainly did not want "things" either. We also learned the importance of "bragging rights" and as long as mother could show-and-tell with her tablemates, she was happy:-)