Monday, November 10, 2008

"We try to grab pieces of our lives as they speed past us. Photographs freeze those pieces and help us remember how we were." Gene McSweeney

I love photos.

One look around my house and you will see every available shelf or surface filled with framed pictures of family and friends.

I always feel surrounded by love whenever I enter a room and come face to face with these photos. And, since I don't have any family living here in Birmingham, it truly helps when those feelings of loneliness come into my heart from time to time.

Every once in a while I get down an old album and spend time gazing at the beautiful pictures of times gone by. Today was one of those days.

As the memories began to flood into my brain...I sat and reminisced...and smiled.

So, if you will forgive this old Grammie for today, I have posted one of the many pictures that brought back memories of a funny story from 30+ years ago.

I am guessing that my oldest, Adam, was about 5 years old when this picture was taken. He and his little brother, Jeffrey, were playing in the bathtub when I brought them a little surprise.

I had purchased some "bathtub crayons" that were made to be used in the tub. The directions said that these would wash right off.

I guess that they didn't mean on the human body? HA!

The kids were having a ball with them...marking the tub with drawings and then "painting" their faces and bodies with the various colors.

Well, it turns out that the black crayon was popular with the kids as they began to cover their little bodies in jubilation as evidenced by the picture of Adam posted below.

Oh, how we laughed....

Until we tried to wash it all off.

Unfortunately, a very distinct shadow of the crayon's markings remained on their bodies....especially their faces.....

....FOR SEVERAL DAYS!

(I hope that Adam will forgive my posting this picture of him in the tub...but, I couldn't resist.)

1 comment:

Jamie Dawn said...

I remember giving bath crayons and colored foam in spray cans to my kids during bath time.
What fun they had too, also, as well!!
How neat it is that you began blogging while waiting for your first grandchild to arrive.
Kids make life wonderful!!!!