Monday, December 01, 2008

Grammie's Home....

This was the view from my window on my flight out of Minneapolis this morning...The beautiful fluffy clouds covered up some of the landscape below that was still dusted with white from the Sunday snow.

It is always an emotional time for me when I have to leave my children and grandchildren...and, this time wasn't any easier than any of the previous times.

On my final night in MN, I got the pleasure of doing the nighttime ritual with Owen all on my own. First the bathtime...then the reading of two books that he picked out for "Gammie" to read. (He absolutely adores books and I credit Adam and Jenny for this love and appreciation that they have instilled in him. Going to the local library seems to be one of Owen's favorite places to go and he even knows how to scan each book at the check out area before taking them home! [Hey, I'm a grandmother, aren't I supposed to think that my grandkids are absolutely brilliant and do things that no other child has ever done before???!]--ha ha)

Of course, as soon as I would get near the end of one book, he would immediately look at me with those soulful eyes of his and say: "Read book again, Gammie". ...I absolutely read the books again and again, of course! I would have read him "War and Peace" if it would have given me more time to spend with him on this, my last night. : )

As I finally tucked precious Owen into bed I told him that "Papa Dave" and I would be leaving very early in the morning to head back to Birmingham. I wasn't sure if he could really grasp the complete context what I was saying to him...but, again, he looked up at me and asked: "Mommy and Daddy stay home?". "Of course," I answered....realizing that he did understand exactly what I said, and just need some reassurance that Mom and Dad would still be hanging around!

Sweet Audrey, at 5 months old, really has no idea about the people who come to visit, give her hugs and love and then leave...but, at 5:45 this morning, as Dave and I were heading upstairs to wait for our cab to head to the airport...she decided that she was hungry and began to cry. While Mommy Jenny was warming the bottle, I got to change her diaper one more time before I left. As I talked to her....I swear to you....she stared at me with those huge, gorgeous blue eyes of hers and knowingly.....

...smiled.

: )

(Pictures coming tomorrow....and in the days to come....too tired tonight to do anything more. xoxo )

No comments: