Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Yesterday.

The day didn't start out very well.

I was awakened by a phone call early in the morning. It was my dentist's receptionist letting me know that there was an opening for a teeth cleaning...

...in an hour!

I stumbled out of bed and got myself as presentable as I could in my 'just awakened' haze. (If I had known then what I know now....I would have stayed in bed!) : 0

After cleaning my teeth, the hygienist asked me if my diet had changed since my last cleaning 6 months earlier. She was concerned by some spots that seemed like cavities...and, I hadn't had a cavity in many, many years.

After some discussion, it seems that the one thing that had changed was the gum that I was chewing. Some of the meds that I am on cause me to have a very dry mouth....and I find that frequently chewing gum helps that situation. I had switched from a sugarless gum to Juicy Fruit since my last cleaning.

Not a good idea!

What I learned today was that I had actually been "bathing" my teeth in sugar every day...and this had caused cavities to form under some of my crowns...a susceptible area for this to occur.

I also learned that sugarless gum with Xylitol as an ingredient was actually great for your teeth. My dentist recommends it.

Who knew?

Anyway, I left there with another appointment for when I return back home in January...and lots of costly dental work ahead for me. **aagh**

I decided to pass this info on to my readers in hopes that it might be helpful and money-saving for some of you out there.

Go out and buy some sugarless gum with Xylitol and start chewing!

And, who said that blogs couldn't be educational??? : )

4 comments:

Beverly said...

That's good to know. I rarely chew gum, but it's good to pass on.

I feel your pain. I have a fixed bridge that I got way back in 1968. At one time, my dentist had suggested that I replace it whenever I had a few extra dollars. The face of one of the teeth had broken off. It didn't show, so I didn't do anything about it.

Later, however, I ended up with some decay on the anchor teeth. I did pay then dearly for a new bridge. Even fillings these days cost an arm and a leg.

JeanMac said...

Hi - there is also a mouth rinse by Ora*B which is specific to remineralizing the root area - especially of teeth with crowns/bridges. Check with your (H) if it is good for you to use.

L. said...

Thanks for the info, Jean! I will check into it.
xoxo

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Guess thee is not much hope for me.
I have sjogrens symdrome and it leaves me with a constant dry mouth, no tears, etc. So I chew gum all the time and use other moisturizers in my mouth and drops for tears. Do not like it but if this is all I ever have I am thankful Yes, it does affect the teeth and I have always had excellent teeth.