Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Marley & Me

It's a beautiful story of love.

It's honest in its storytelling.

It tells the story of the "world's worst dog" who brings out the best in this young family.

Of course, I am talking about the movie, Marley & Me.

Understandably, some of the story was diluted when the wonderful book by John Grogan was made into the movie...however, I do think that a lot of John's humorous outlook is still captured in the film version.

I know that it was 'panned' in our local newspaper...but, I have to disagree with what was said. I found it heartwarming, funny, and filled with so many parts that I could relate to.

I am more of a cat person than a dog person...and, even though the main thrust of the story is about Marley, a dog...it is the love of a pet that resonated with me.

I loved Marley's neuroses. I loved that she was a bit crazed "spirited"! : )

I related to this young family as they went through the trials and tribulations of not only raising this exuberant dog...but raising children together....and all of the challenges that come with that time of our life. It brought back a lot of memories in me of my days as a stay-at-home-mother thirty plus years ago.

I could well up right now just thinking about it.

Need a good cry?

Go see Marley & Me...and, bring tissues.

1 comment:

Tabor said...

I will probably wait to see it on DVD as there are a few others I would like to see on the big screen. At first I thought it was light and silly, but from the reviews, apparently not.