Thursday, January 15, 2009

My sister, Karen: A "Warrior in Pink"

"Each Warrior wants to leave the mark of his will, his signature, on important acts he touches. This is not the voice of ego but of the human spirit, rising up and declaring that it has something to contribute to the solution of the hardest problems, no matter how vexing!” Pat Riley

On January 31, my "baby" sister Karen will be one of the eight breast cancer survivors being honored at the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in West Palm Beach, Florida. During the survivor ceremony at the race, these "Warriors in Pink" will lead the thousands of breast cancer survivors as they approach the stage to be recognized.

I am so proud of her and all that she has accomplished since being diagnosed with breast cancer nine years ago this month.

Karen is one of those unique individuals who brings so much light into the world. You can feel her spirited nature just by being around her. She is in constant motion as she puts her special "mark" on so many things.

Karen doesn't just live her life....she celebrates it every day! If you are lucky enough to be a part of one of Karen's celebrations...you will be amazed at the creativity and heart that goes into everything that she does. It is always such fun to be around her....she never ceases to surprise and delight those people who's lives she has touched....and, she has touched so many.

I am so grateful that she is a nine year survivor...and I am blessed and proud to have her as my sister.

See you on the 27th, Kar! I can't wait to celebrate with you... : )

5 comments:

Tabor said...

Having lost a younger sister to skin cancer I can understand your hope and love for this cause.

Beverly said...

You girls are gorgeous in your family! Kudos to your sister and the many women like her who fight so valiantly and have such a wonderful outlook on life.

The babies are so cute!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

What a beautiful sister. In your sharing I can sense your pride in her. Cold here in Nashville.

Winifred said...

Love and best wishes to Karen. She looks and sounds a lovely person.

Clara....in TN said...

I am now a one year survivor. Best wishes to Karen and I'm glad she is being honored at the Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure. I will be celebrating with her.
I also love the shirts your granddaughters have on. They are both so cute. What a blessing you have there....and Owen is growing so much!