Tuesday, February 03, 2009

It was a whirlwind of emotions for me.

I felt unbelievable joy as I watched my 'baby' sister celebrating her nine years of being a breast cancer survivor. She was diagnosed at age 39...and, now, she stood tall---and, cancer free---at the age of 48.

Looking through the crowd, there were occasional signs of the disease in these beautiful faces....some with newly lost hair as a result of their chemotherapy treatments...some frail and weak and needing help in making the walk....but, they all marched in a way that blended them all together with a new-found strength and purpose. Their spirit and determination were palpable and their courage inspiring.

Watching them made me rethink my priorities a bit. Common complaints became just that ---"common". These brave women were fighting a real life and death battle.

Because of this walk and so many others that go on all over the world...many of these women have beat this disease. Because of the donations that have funded breast cancer research, many of these women have survived and thrived. My little contribution began to feel huge to me as I realized that every bit helps in this cause...and, I was so proud to be a small part of this huge effort.

I wish that all diseases could receive this kind of impressive support...if not in my lifetime...then at least in the lifetime of my children and grandchildren.

Please think about that the next time that you receive an envelope in the mail asking for a donation for a cause.

I know that I will...

No comments: