Saturday, February 28, 2009

"...memory in my eye.."

While looking at the comic page in my local newspaper the other day, this frame from Sally Forth really caught my eye...The mom was reminiscing with her daughter about old times and began to cry...thus leading up to the last frame of the comic.

I found this an especially poignant way to describe that emotion of remembering those special times in one's past.

Many moments spent in Minneapolis with the grandkids had me thinking back to when my own children were little. There were many times that I would look at Owen and see my son, Adam, at that stage of his life...not only the physical resemblance, but the sweet and gentle nature that Owen possesses. Watching him brought me back to that time 30+ years ago and that made me "...get some memory in my eye"...

While babysitting the grandkids last week (was it only last week?!?!), I couldn't help but think about the fact that as young parents we sometimes get so caught up in the "taking care of" duties...that we aren't able to really enjoy the wonderment of our children. I know that this occurred with me as a young mother raising my two boys.

Maybe that is why being a grandparent is so incredibly fascinating and delightful...We are finally at that point where the responsibilities are trumped by being able to truly just enjoy the children being children. We have handed the parental torch down to our kids and it is now up to them to bring their children up the best way that they can.

Now, it is Grammie's time to just enjoy them and spoil them as best that I can.

I like that turn of events... : )

4 comments:

Tabor said...

I guess my first post did not get sent! Anyway, the theme of it was that we get to do the play time and they get to make the rules.

Beverly said...

Your post was as if you were writing my feelings. I do that all the time with my grandsons, thinking of how I did the same things with their daddies. Grandchildren are
little memories of our children.

Winifred said...

You hit the nail on the head!

One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Grammie you shared my thoughts.
Also when I look at my children I remember so well when they were small. Time has gone so quickly.