Monday, February 09, 2009

Rose-colored glasses and me....

"This attitude of cheerful optimism, of seeing everything in an attractive, pleasant light, has always been with us. The expression itself goes back to at least 1861, when it is first recorded in 'Tom Brown at Oxford': 'Oxford was a sort of Utopia to the Captain.He continued to behold towers, and quadrangles, and chapels, through rose-colored glasses." From the "Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins" by Robert Hendrickson (Facts on File, New York, 1997)"

I have been told that I tend to see the world through rose colored glasses...

Ironically, while down in Florida last week, I came home with the above pair of rose-colored glasses from my sister's "Pink Party" that was held in honor of her breast cancer walk supporters. While the glasses were strictly a fun item from the party...it did make me think about how I do see the world around me....and questioned whether this was a good or unrealistic way to go through life.

Maybe it is naivete'....maybe it is wishful thinking....maybe one sees just what one wants to see? I'm not really sure...

Benjamin Cardozo once said: "We are what we believe we are." and Buddha said: "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become."I fully agree with these simplistic statements and think that it has kept me basically optimistic about my life.

I like to think the best of people. I am most comfortable when I see joy and happiness in others...and have been "accused" of "trying to make the world happy" (tough job). I believe that everyone is basically good...but that goodness sometimes gets buried through years of sadness, anger, hurt, etc. etc. Some people are kept 'down' by this, and some are able to rise above it.

I have seen self-fulfilling prophesies become real when people have a positive outlook. There is so much power in looking for the best and seeing that mental and emotional idea can become our reality. Call me naive, but I sincerely believe that what we are...and, what we project to others...comes right back to us in time. We may not be aware of it at first, but with patience, our kindness gets mirrored and does, in fact, reflect back.

Like others, I have had some challenges in my life. I certainly have my moments when I am down and saddened by things. But, for the most part, I have not let these things change the person that I am inside and how I view my world.

So, is this seeing the world through rose-colored glasses?

Am I avoiding reality while believing in fantasy?

I'm not sure, but it is the path that I want and need to follow...

What about you?

2 comments:

Tabor said...

You cannot avoid reality...it will catch up with you...but it is much more lovely when looked at through rose colored glasses!

Kathi D said...

I have always found that you (mostly) get back what you give out. I expect people to be nice, and usually they are. When you expect to like people, you approach them in a way that makes it harder for them to be anything but likable, right?

I would rather be disappointed occasionally than to always expect the worst of people.