Tuesday, February 10, 2009

So much for the "good luck" undies....

As I got ready to go to the dentist this morning for my final two permanent crowns to be put on, I had some anxiety.

Going to the dentist doesn't bother me, but one of the two molars that had a temporary crown on it had been throbbing causing me some discomfort the past few days.

My dentist was leaving this afternoon to go out of the country...and, I will be leaving a week from tomorrow until the 26th...so, I wasn't sure what he would decide to do. I was concerned that it was going to need a root canal...in which case he would have to leave the temporary crowns on until my return in two weeks....not to mention the extra expense of my already costly dental work!

So, I decided to put on these crazy undies on in hopes that they would bring me some luck in all of this. (If you find yourself laughing at me...please know that the older one gets, the crazier one gets--if you aren't there yet, I promise, it will happen!)

Sitting in the chair all novacained up, I heard the following: "These are not her crowns!".

Uh-oh...this is not starting out well.

After much investigating, it turns out that the lab had delivered my crowns to the wrong dentist...so, me and my numbing mouth had to sit and wait until the delivery could be made.

So, much for the good luck undies...

Well, at least the dental assistant had a good laugh over it all.

**************************************************************************

During the placement of the permanent crowns, the dentist was testing my bite to make sure that everything was lined up correctly. He would do the "chop, chop, chop,....slide, slide, slide" with the carbon type paper in between my teeth to see where the teeth were hitting.

He would then occasionally ask me how the bite felt. Being numb on one side, it was difficult to answer this, but, I gave him the best answers that I could.

Several minutes later, he again did the "chop, chop, slide, slide" command....stopped, looked at me and said, "Talk to me."

Not quite understanding why he wanted me to talk to him I said: "Hellllloooo".

He and the assistant burst into hysterics. He was wanting to know if the bite felt good.

I thought that he was just being friendly. What did I know?

The dental work had to be temporarily paused as we all laughed so hard that we had tears in our eyes.

How many times does one leave the dentist's office laughing?

Maybe the undies worked after all.... : )

2 comments:

JeanMac said...

Yeah for the magic panties and new crowns!

Anonymous said...

That "talk to me" part sounds exactly like something I'd do. Glad you got a good laugh at the dentist. I came here from JeanMac and I have to say....you've got a nice place. :)