Friday, March 20, 2009

ANT-ticipation

I adore hummingbird season.

I have two sugar-filled feeders ready for their arrival....however, last year I had a terrible ant problem.

A multitude of little black ants continued to find their way into the bird feeders...and, it was a mess. I tried everything to fend then off...but, nothing worked.

Well, a bird catalog arrived the other day and there were several hummingbird feeders that were guaranteed to keep the ants away. These were quite costly and really just had a little "ant moat" that would trap the ants before they could get to the real feeder.

Now, my brilliant Dave said, "We could make something like that." He went into the kitchen and took the red plastic cap off of my spray oils, made a small hole, and put the hanging wire through it.

That was the easy part.

He then began to try and come up with some ideas to close the hole up so that the water would not leak out.

Well, several wooden toothpicks and lots of glue later....and, voila! he made a waterproof moat.

I worked on the second feeder, but used a little saran wrap and glue on mine. I then took both of the little moats and painted some yellow flowers on them to try and attract the hummingbirds.

They are hanging outside today, the first official day of spring...and, I am hopeful that they will soon appear...and, that the ant moats will prove to be a success instead of just a "bird"brained idea....

: )

2 comments:

Tabor said...

Quite creative...let us know if it works!

Clara....in TN said...

Now that's aneat idea. Your hummingbird feeder is like mine.