Monday, March 23, 2009

Backyard bird "spa"?

The word has gotten out!

My backyard bird feeder seems to be very popular these days in the local bird community! It is a four-perch feeder and it is constantly surrounded by droves of birds. I have noticed that the cardinals have really come out in large numbers this year. It has been a source of constant delight to me to watch these winged beauties fly around joyfully....occasionally stopping for a meal. Right now, I am looking outside my window and I can already spot about 7-8 of them enjoying themselves back there.

Well, yesterday, Dave brought a new aspect of the bird frenzy to my attention. He spotted a couple of the cardinals flitting around my covered swimming pool. They were having a wonderful time bathing in the little bit of water that shows through the mesh cover. They were splashing about with wild abandon and seemed to be enjoying this new discovery. So, it seems not that I not only run a "restaurant" in my backyard, but, I have the added attraction of a huge bird bath! Kind of like a bird spa, don't you think? : ) I may have to "up" my spring/summer rates...

(I got out my camera and tried to snap them in action...but, only got these two shots before they flew away.)

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Tabor said...

In our former house we had a swimming pool and the ducks decided to nest just outside and use the water caught in the cover to teach the little ones how to swim. We had to wait to start swimming season.

Blessed Beyond Stress said...

I can't get over all this pollen...c'mon Spring (and Summer)!