Monday, March 02, 2009

Snow in the Deep South...Huh?

When you live in Alabama and the weather forecasters predict snow, you do one of two things: 1.) Run to the grocery store and stock up on milk and bread (never did understand that one--my choices to stock up on would be wine and M and M's!) 2.) Ignore their predictions in that they are usually wrong, bringing about great disappointment.

But, somehow, they got it right this time....and, on Sunday morning a quick peek out the window and there was a light dusting of snow on the ground and on rooftops!

Within a couple of hours.... large, white flakes were rapidly coming down and the dusting turned into a few inches of glorious, wondrous snow.

I dragged had Dave get bundled up and join me for a romp in the newly fallen snow.

First we took a walk around the neighborhood as I put my head back, stuck out my tongue, and let the flakes melt in my mouth. Ahhh. (I can already hear those snickers from my Northern readers!)

Along the way, Dave proceeded to make many snowballs and use the local trees for his targets...while I began to collect snow in a ball for a snowman (another one of those male/female differences!). I looked kind of silly carrying this growing ball of snow in my arms as we walked, but, it did serve as the beginning of one of our snowmen (snowpeople? Is that more PC?).

Once back at my house the building began and our "punk rock" snowman was created along with a smaller snow-woman by his side.Such fun acting like a kid again!

With frozen fingers, we headed back into the warm house having had our fill of this unusual event.

By the later afternoon, the snow stopped falling, the sun came out...and every last bit of our "Winter Wonderland" was gone...

Temporary, but magical.... nonetheless. : )

No comments: