Sunday, August 16, 2009

Loss

I am saddened today by the passing of a dear friend's father a couple of days ago. He was a vibrant 87 year old who was picking figs for his wife to use in her preserves when he fell. His face was cut and bruised by the fall, but he was unaware of something even more insidious going on. Because he was on a blood thinner, he ended up having bleeding on the brain from the impact of the fall.......surgery........and, a stroke.....all proving to be more than his 87 yr. old body could handle...and he eventually passed away.

In my sadness I began to think about my own father's passing a couple of year's ago. Hardly a day goes by that I don't think about things that I would like to have said to him....things that I would have liked to have asked him....things that I would have liked to have done with him...

Ironically, a long-distance friend of mine sent me three youtube videos this morning. He is a dear friend from my high school days who I reconnected with at my class reunion. He sends me videos every once in a while of old groups and songs that I might enjoy....and, I do, thoroughly enjoy hearing them and remembering...

One of the videos that he sent today really resonated with me. The lyrics became even more meaningful in my present state of mind. For the first time I really paid careful attention to the words and it brought up a lot of emotion for me.

The basic premise of the song is to connect with the people in our lives "in the living years" before they are gone and it is too late.

Sensitive words with a powerful message.

So, go and tell someone that you love them today.... : )

1 comment:

listen for azure said...

I love you, honey. Even from thousands of miles away!