Friday, November 20, 2009

28 pound turkey for 9?

OK. I admit it.

I love Thanksgiving and all of the things that come with it!

And, I tend to go a bit (Dave would say: "A BIT?!?!) overboard when it comes to buying the turkey. I go for BIG.

First of all, truth be told, the stuffing is really my favorite part of the whole deal and I like to have a lot of room for a lot of stuffing. I know that "they" all say that you shouldn't put the stuffing into the turkey (then why did they name it "stuffing"?!??) for health reasons...but, to me, there is nothing like flavorful, juicy stuffing cooked inside of the turkey! I usually make a casserole of stuffing too and mix the two together. Mmmmm. Mmmmm.

Yesterday I did part 1 of my Thanksgiving shopping. It was pretty scary in that I actually went without a list! Unimaginable, eh? Oh yeah, I'll be back for parts 2-9.

Going up and down each aisle I grabbed things off of the shelves that I thought that I would need for our holiday feast. When I came to the meat section I began to inspect the Butterball turkeys for the largest one that I could find. Success! I found a 28+ pounder with my name on it. With the help of a nearby stock boy, we lifted this honker into my already partially-filled cart. I walked away feeling a bit smug as I pictured this gorgeous, golden brown bird adorning my Thanksgiving table receiving great oohs and ahhhs from my 'guests'.

Then, some reality kicked in as I realized that there were only going to be nine of us for dinner and one of the nine was a 16 month old baby with, hopefully, a huge appetite!

What was I thinking? Was there even room in my oven for this? Did I have a roasting pan big enough?

After about ten more minutes of staring at this monstrous bird....lying there... taking up most of my cart, I walked back over to the refrigerator section....put it back in the bin....and picked out a smaller bird.

Had I come to my senses? Not really....the one that I traded it in for turned out to be 24 pounds!

Did I hear someone say: "LEFTOVERS"????? : )

No comments: