Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Dear Audrey and Owen,

I have finally unpacked my suitcases, done the laundry, and settled back into my life before my visit with you last week.

It seems that I miss you all as soon as I set foot on the airplane as my head is filled with such wonderful memories of our time together...

After arriving in MN, I headed to your new daycare to pick you up a little early. I was stopped at the entrance because your mommy and daddy had forgotten to leave my name as a possible "picker-upper". Even though it kept me from seeing you both right away, I was actually pleased with how they handled the whole situation....not allowing me to take you out until permission was granted by your parents. After finally reaching your mommy at work, I headed down the hallway with the head of the school as she showed me to your room, Owen. Thankfully, you saw me at the door and immediately ran into my arms for a welcome hug. (Oh, how good that felt!) It made me smile and sigh with relief that the school head got even more reinforcement that I was, in actuality your Grammie....and, not some stranger. : O

Audrey, you were another story as you stared at me with a confused look on your face. Kind of like...."I think that I know this lady....but, I'm not sure why....but she does look familiar..." After all, you were just one year old when I saw you last-- this past summer....but, after a few minutes you were happily in my arms as we headed to you house.

How the two of you have grown in the past few months! Owen, you speak so eloquently...way beyond your three short years of life. Your mind is always thinking, thinking, thinking! You totally amazed me at the library when you were so adept at the computer in the children's area. Your love of books is still so strong...and, our last night together I must have read you 8-10 books before you fell off to sleep! As I would finish one, you would ask me to read "just one more"...and, you know that Grammies cannot resist a request like that.. : )

And, Audrey, you are something else! You are starting to talk a lot more...mostly one word at a time....but you fill in the rest of the sentence with your own little language...and, the amazing thing is that we can actually figure out what it is that you are saying!

You seem to be taking in all that surrounds you with those big, pensive, blue eyes of yours. You look all "girly, girly"...but, the reality is that you are quite the "pistol" and can hold your own very well. You know what you want and you usually get it. Who can resist your adorableness? Certainly not me!

I especially love watching the two of you at play. Owen, you are such a sweetie as you go up to your little sister....without prompting...and give her hugs. "Audrey, do you want to go and run with me?" you ask. Then, the two of you begin to run and run and run....giggling with delight the whole time. Sometimes you both fall together or jump into the big, beanbag chair in your playroom....all the time laughing hysterically. You are such good playmates and I loved watching you together.

The hardest part of my visits with you and your mommy and daddy is the fact that I eventually have to leave. It looks like I won't be seeing you again for several more months....but, in the meantime I will just have to keep remembering the wonderful times that we had together on this visit.

Stay well and happy and continue to give each other lots of love and hugs....and, above all, remember that your Grammie in Alabama loves you both with all of her heart...

3 comments:

adam max said...

We love you Grammie and miss you so much already!! :-) What a fun weekend. We can't wait to do it again. xxxooo, Owen & Audrey

Clara....in TN said...

I know it's hard being a far away Grammie. My heart aches at times....and mine are all grown up.

1000myths said...

WONDERFUL POST!
You have demonstrated beautifully how good life can be - if we just "let it be"
I love your grandchildren (and my own as well) The little ones can bring joy to our hearts without even trying.
Thank you and
ENJOY!