Thursday, November 12, 2009

While the leaves were falling outside....

...the girlies and I were inside finishing up our ceramic ones.

(Yes, these are made out of clay....they look real, don't they?!)

Now that they are painted, they will have to dry for a few days and then into the kiln they go! Final step: the glazing process...another visit to the kiln...and the leaves will be done...ready to adorn their Thanksgiving tables.

I have to admit that I was pretty impressed with my "non-artist" friends abilities. Of course, I do believe that we all have artistic talent inside....and with a little confidence and a free spirit...that can emerge from each and every one of us.

When I teach my adult pottery classes, I find that the most difficult part is getting the students over their fear of "not being able to do it"! Once they get started...the sky is the limit....and, no one is more surprised than the person creating the piece!

As I watched these beautiful and dear friends of mine sitting and working in my studio, I felt a sense of joy, contentment, and love. Unfortunately,the "news" that one of the girls was anticipating did come...and, it wasn't what we wanted to hear. Her news meant that the second of one of the girlies was going to be faced with the challenge of dealing with cancer.

That being said, here we were, supporting each other with our friendship...hugging each other tightly, chatting and laughing and creating something special together.

Our sisterhood grows closer with each step of our journey together...no matter what life throws our way....and, it is pretty spectacular.

"Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away."

--Dinah Maria Mulock Craik