Sunday, January 03, 2010

Avatar... Up in the Air....Invictus.....and It's Complicated!

Dave has to be gently persuaded forced to go to the movies.

I, on the other hand, LOVE sitting in the darkened theatre, munching on the healthy popcorn that I sneak in (Ssh!), and watching the big screen.

Somehow, this holiday season, I was able to convince push him into going to four of them.

He probably won't admit it to too many people....but, I do believe that he enjoyed them all. I know that I did. : )

So, here's my unsolicited take on the four of them:

Actually, Avatar was one that he chose to go to. The 3D effects were pretty amazing....the movie was fascinating...the acting great....but, I could have done without some of the violence such as the battle scenes. I'm not big into that kind of action....but, I was glad to have experienced this science fiction fantasy. Grade: B-

Up in the Air was my hands-down favorite. Just looking at George Clooney for two hours was worth the price of admission! (*swoon*) The underlying theme of this movie, to me, was the importance of the relationships in our lives, commitment, and family. I also found it quite poignant listening to the testimonies of people who had just been laid off of their jobs. Unfortunately, a pretty timely topic for these days. Grade: A+

Invictus. Wow. Nelson Mandela. Enough said....It shows a small segment of his Presidency when he uses the country's rugby team to unite a people who had been torn apart by apartheid. The movie was touching....the rugby hard to watch....such a brutal sport (how do the players live through all of that rough-housing??)...but, it didn't detract too much for this great movie about a great leader. Grade: A-

And, finally, It's Complicated. This delightful movie affected me on so many levels. Since it was about a divorced couple, of course I could identify with some of the emotions involved. The many complications of life after divorce were so true and really resonated with me even after 9 years. I was sensitive to the kid's reactions to their parents as I thought about my own boys. But, beyond those sensitivities, it was a lot of fun. Meryl Streep is one of my favorites...as are Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin. Without spoiling it for those of you who haven't seen it...the "pot" scene is absolutely hilarious! Grade: A.

When all is said and done, I think that the title pretty much sums up LIFE for most of us: "It's complicated..............but, oh, so good. : )

No comments: