Friday, January 01, 2010

Reflections on a year gone by......way too quickly

2010?!?!

How can 2009 be over? I hardly got to know ya...

Is it my age, or is time passing ever so quickly these days?

Wasn't I just filling out last year's tax forms? Weren't my grandkids just little babies 'yesterday'? Can it really be 9 years since my divorce? Were the multitude of new gray hairs on my head well-earned? Can I really be a mother of a 35 1/2 year old? When did all of my doctors get younger than me? When did all of my doctors get younger than my children?

....and on and on...

2009 has been an interesting year...even as it zipped by me.

It has been a year filled with a variety of emotions. It has been a year filled with many challenges:

I continue to miss my father. I am watching dear friends struggle with their newly diagnosed cancers. My economic situation has taken a downhill turn....as has everyone's. I am beginning to feel like a 61 year old with all of the moans and groans that accompany that age. I miss having my kids and grandkids around more than ever. I struggle to find answers to so many questions. My memory is much less sharp than a year ago. The chance for seeing world peace in my lifetime seems less and less possible.

However, more importantly, the past year has been filled with many joys:

My Mom is doing very well as she continues to make a life for herself on her own. She even flew here to spend Thanksgiving with me, my son, his wife, and adorable Celia. My friendships have flourished as we have tightened our bonds of love. I have learned how to play Mah Jongg which is a constant mind challenge that gives me a great sense of accomplishment. I still have a tremendous passion for my pottery and continue to grow with each new creation. I embrace my morning walks with great vigor and enthusiasm....even at this ripe old age of 61. I realize that my financial situation will continue to improve....and, I continue to have an appreciation for the simple things that money can't buy. I revel at watching my two sons and their wives grow their families and fill their lives with all good things. I am grateful to be able to make so many trips to visit them all.

....and on and on....

A dear old friend of mine teases me mercilessly for what he calls my being a "Hallmark" kind of person. I respond by telling him that I like seeing the world through my rose- colored glasses...however, I have begun to find a balance between that outlook and facing reality. I have realized that there are still so many things that I don't understand...about people....about life....about the world that I inhabit. However, I have come to accept that I don't need to understand everything...and, that I probably never will. But, that is okay.

The last email that I got from this friend ended by saying: "Don't ever lose those rose-colored glasses....just clean them now and then.

That statement made me smile as I realized that one of my greatest accomplishments in 2009 was finding acceptance in things that I couldn't understand...and, certainly couldn't change. I still keep those rose-colored glasses handy, but I do stop and clear the view on occasion...

...and on and on....

Here's to another wonderful year of challenges and joys. Happy 2010 all....keep those rose-colored glasses handy just in case....

xoxo

1 comment:

Granny Annie said...

Those wonderful grandchildren will keep the rose in your cheeks and the rose color on your glasses.