Thursday, January 14, 2010

Watching through the eyes of an 8 year old girl....

For two and a half hours last night I was transformed into an 8 year girl!

Dave and I went to see the Broadway production of 101 Dalmations.

In all honesty, the "grown-up" me wasn't that enthused about this seemingly childish story...but, I had the tickets and pushed myself to go.

I'm so glad that I did.

For those of you who might not know the story...it is basically about a loving family in London, England, during the 1950's, who own two grown Dalmations and a large litter of puppies. The villianess of the story is Cruella De Vil who only wants the Dalmations for their fur to make coats, hats, gloves, etc. (It was brought out in the show that De Vil put together spells "devil"...and, she certainly was!) Thus the tale (or tail, ha ha) begins as Cruella tries to kidnap the puppies (played by adorable and talented children)...

The adult characters in the show were precariously perched on some type of stilted device that allowed them to stand much taller than the humans who were playing the dogs. It was a bit awkward at first to watch them make their way around the stage on these contraptions....but, it did make the dogs seem more realistic.

There were also real live Dalmations used during the production and I found myself squealing with delight when they were out on the stage performing some of their tricks.

The quality of the voices was superb, and even though I wasn't familiar with any of the songs, I found them all extremely enjoyable. (He probably wouldn't ever admit it, but on the way out of the theater, I heard Dave quietly humming one of the final tunes!)

The stage sets were very clever and certainly enhanced the production.

Afterwards, I realized that I found the show to be so enjoyable mostly because I viewed it as a younger (much younger!) version of myself. I had to step out of my adult mode and become a little girl again.

And, I must admit that I thoroughly enjoyed being 8 years old again.

Too bad that I had to wake up this morning and find that I was still a 61 year old woman!

: )

No comments: