Monday, February 22, 2010

More on Tiger

I love getting comments from my blog readers! While most of them are a positive, this particular one had another point of view on my take on Tiger Wood's public apology.

Here is the comment from a reader:

It is a source of amazement to me when people are quick to congratulate someone for telling the truth. My amazement takes two forms: wonder at how surprising and refreshing it's become to hear anyone in public life speak honestly, and regret that "honesty" long delayed and by no means convincingly expressed is so quickly accepted at face value.

I so appreciated these comments...it's nice to hear other thoughts on my topics. I still stand by my original feelings, however.

My intent wasn't to "congratulate someone for telling the truth"...nor did I accept "at face value" all that Tiger said.

The real theme of my post on Tiger was to say that I felt compassion for the man and hoped the best for him and his family. To hear him speaking (in my opinion) so humbly in front of his family, friends, and the world, did touch me. I felt like it took a lot for him to do that....and for that effort, I applauded him.

I do expect people in public life to always speak honestly...however, I do understand that we are all humans, and humans can make mistakes. Taking responsibility for our mistakes is the very first step for growth and healing. Not blaming others for our misdeeds is the ultimate in being accountable for our wrongs. I felt that Tiger took full responsibility for his actions...and, I respected that.

I definitely do not condone what Tiger did. I was extremely disappointed in him...and, especially concerned for all the young people out there who looked up to him as a role model.

But, most importantly, I also believe in forgiveness.

Any other thoughts out there?

2 comments:

Tabor said...

I do not need to forgive him because he did nothing to me. I do think his apology was well-crafted by attorneys and public relations staff before he read it. I think he meant it, but I am still disappointed in his behavior and I still think his wealth and power make him very separate from real people.

L. said...

Good points! Thanks for your comments... : )