Saturday, February 13, 2010

Perspective.

Nothing like some fresh air to change one's perspective...

Because of the frigid temperatures that we have had around here, I have been doing my daily walking inside on my treadmill...but, today, even though the temperatures are still quite low, I decided to get out of the house and take my walk outside.

Walking is, and always has been, a great way to clear my head and get my thinking back on the right track.

As I left my flooded basement with the cut-out carpeting and walls broken away....with the water stained floors....and the de-humidifiers and fans buzzing noisily...I began my walk.

The now diminishing snow of yesterday was still quite beautiful as it glistened in the bright sunlight. There were traces of snowmen that had been built the day before...but, were now slowly losing their shape as the sun beat down on them. I could just imagine the neighborhood children joyfully scooping up handfuls of snow as they took advantage of the schools being closed early and the white stuff filling their lawns. After all, it isn't that often that we get snowfall down here in the Deep South!

As I walked up and down the rolling hills that are my neighborhood, I began to relax and appreciate the beauty that surrounds me. Like the snow, some of my stress was beginning to melt away...and it felt so freeing.

So, my basement has flooded twice in the past 7 days. And, yes, the claims adjuster for my insurance company spoke to me in a very caustic tone yesterday almost bringing me to tears. And, I do have concerns about what this will all end up costing me...BUT...

...here I am walking briskly through my neighborhood breathing in the fresh air. I am still of sound mind (questionable?!) and body. I am surrounded by incredible friends and people who care about me. I have the most wonderful family...though scattered around the country they may be. So much love and joy.

Yes, like me, my 40+ year old house is starting to show its age...pipes are cracking...the heater is on its last leg...it is in need of a fresh painting...and some of the furniture has seen better days....BUT...

it provides me with warmth....it is a haven away from the craziness of the world around me...it is filled with wonderful memories of years gone by...and, when I am away, I am always so glad to be back HOME to my wonderful house in my purple painted bedroom....in my own bed with the letters D-R-E-A-M on the wall overhead.

It is showing its age, that is for sure....BUT, like me...it still has a lot of life left in it...with new memories to make... and more joy to feel.

It's all about "perspective".

No comments: