Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Senior Day at Publix

Wednesday is "Senior Day" at my local Publix Supermarket. If you are over 60, you get 5% off of your total bill. So, as a 61 year old, why not try to take advantage of that day and its savings?

As I drove through the overflowing parking lot, I saw that it was pretty much filled....full of old geezers...just like me.....I joined the fray as I grabbed the eco-friendly shopping bags out of my car and headed in.

I hate to be critical, but I began to realize that old people move very s-l-o-w-l-y...pick out their groceries very s-l-o-w-l-y...and, talk with everyone in sight s-l-o-w-l-y.

This was going to be a long shopping excursion...

Of course there are advantages to shopping on "Senior Day": I actually felt kind of spry as I zipped around the aisles past the slower shoppers; I saved $3.15 on my $63.00 total bill (woo hoo); I had to show the clerk my id as she didn't believe that I was over 60 (flattery or just what they were supposed to do?); and, last, but not least, there are an overabundance of bagboys ready and willing to take your groceries to the car for you!

I also noticed that the seniors seem to be the ones who pass you by with a smile on their face and a kind word or two sent your way. Nice, in this hectic world we live in....

......and, well worth the $3.15 that I saved... : )

No comments: