Friday, February 19, 2010

Tiger

As I walked on my treadmill this morning, I found my regularly scheduled show being pre-empted because Tiger Woods was about to speak. My first thought was a bit of annoyance at this interruption for someone's personal matters...this usually occurs when there is some world crisis or other important event.... ...but, then he began to speak...

I was pretty amazed at how sincerely repentant he was. This "giant" of a man was so humbled as he stood before a small crowd of family and friends (not to mention a huge television audience!) and poured his heart out. He continually apologized for his previous, and hurtful, actions. Actions that he said caused people to stop believing in him. He said that he thought that there were different rules for him because of his fame and that he became, "entitled". But, now, through therapy and introspection, he not only knows better....but, wants to live better.

As tears welled up in his eyes, he spoke honestly about his wrongs...and totally defended his wife and the things that the press has been accusing her of. He wanted to set the record straight...and, in my opinion, he did this and so much more.

I see a broken man who is working as hard as he can to put his life back together and heal the pain that his actions brought on the people he loves...not an easy task. I can't help but respect him for attempting to win back the trust that he lost.

I hope that we will all be patient and give him the space that he needs to work out his problems and, once again, be believed in...

I, personally, wish him the best.

2 comments:

Granny Annie said...

I believe everyone can be remorseful and can expect forgiveness as they go forward with their lives with lessons learned. But more than I wish well for Tiger, I wish well for his wife and children and would not wish them back in that situation under any circumstance. He should face the consequences of his actions.

http://drinksbeforedinner.com said...

It is a source of amazement to me when people are quick to congratulate someone for telling the truth. My amazement takes two forms: wonder at how surprising and refreshing it's become to hear anyone in public life speak honestly, and regret that "honesty" long delayed and by no means convincingly expressed is so quickly accepted at face value.