Thursday, April 08, 2010

"Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective..."

The above quote is the subtitle of Andy Andrews' wonderful little fiction book, The Noticer.

One of my "Girlies" was given this book during her recent radiation treatments...and loved it so much...that she purchased 20 of them to pass on to the people she cared about.

I was one of those lucky recipients...and, it has turned out to be an amazingly "life-changing" gift for me.

While it tackles many of life's biggest challenges, it is a simple read. Simplistic, yet profound, in so many ways. It is the kind of book that is hard to put down once you start it...and, when you finish it...you want to go back through it and highlight parts of it.

The book centers around an old drifter named "Jones" who says about himself: "I am a noticer,".....I notice things that other people overlook. And you know, most of them are in plain sight.....I notice things about situations and people that produce perspective. That's what most folks lack-perspective-a broader view. So I give them that broader view...and it allows them to regroup, take a breath and begin their lives again."

After all of the "Girlies" finish reading their copies, we are going to get together and have a discussion about this interesting, thought-provoking book.

I can't wait to hear other's perspectives on what the book teaches.

It seems that the older I get, the more I have to learn... : )

No comments: