Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Magazine Madness

I guess that you could say that I am going through a "clearing out" or cleansing period right now...as I sit straddled on the floor going through my veritable mountain of old magazines.

I had been holding on to back issues of Cooking Light thinking that one day I might actually go through them again for recipes. I usually rip out anything that interests me while reading them the first time...so, what made me think that I would find anything new the second, third, time, etc? And, I can get these same recipes online...

Then there were all of my Oprah issues. These gems are filled with so much good information, I hated to part with any of them. Unfortunately, each magazine must weigh 20 lbs.-they are so big and heavy...and, needed to be a part of my "lightening up" process. So, I quickly skimmed through them, tearing out anything that I knew I would read again at a later time and bagged them up, too.

And, how about my "fantasy world" People magazines? These come every week, so you can imagine how quickly those can pile up. Many of them were half-read with the pages folded down to remind me of my place. Could I let go of these without finishing them? Did I really need to know about Heidi Montag's ten plastic surgeries? Or, Lindsay Lohan's latest antics? Tempting, but I trashed (Freudian slip?) them all.

Then there were my pottery magazines. How could I ever part with them? What if I needed some sudden inspiration before getting into my clay? But, since I subscribe to several of them, I decided to keep a few and ditch the rest. I can find my creative inspiration all around me!

Another large and heavy one that I get monthly is the Birmingham magazine. I feel that it is important to support this local periodical...but, finding issues in this pile for the years 2006 and 2007 were certainly not a necessity. Buh bye.

I now have five large plastic bags filled with these out-dated, half-read journals that were difficult to part with.......but, I must say....

...I feel lighter already. : )

2 comments:

Beverly said...

I drive myself crazy saving old magazines....I understand so well...

Granny Annie said...

That trash sack full of magazines is the most inspirational photo I've seen in a while. I must follow your example......I must follow your example......I must.............