Monday, February 28, 2011

Seeing the magic in my grandchildren's eyes....

While in Minnesota last week, I couldn't help but see the world through Audrey and Owen's eyes.

It was quite magical....and, I liked it there.

After putting Audrey's hair up in two crazy pigtails, I saw her transform back into a little girl.  Five minutes earlier she had been dressed in a "princess dress" and a tiara.  She had picked up a wand and was no longer a little girl....but  full blown royalty.  Before long, she was playing a "mommy" as she strolled her babies around the living room. Later on, she would put on Owen's Buzz Lightyear outfit and I would see her running around "capturing" bad guys with her brother who was  dressed head to toe as Spiderman.

Some of my favorite moments were spent watching the two of them in independent play.  Audrey would "mother" her two "children" baby dolls as she was deep into pretend play.  She would talk to them and soothe them in her two year old "motherly" way. Sometimes she would even break out in song....or "read" a book to them. It was so sweet.

Owen is heavy into being a Super Hero and he plays this role very well.  He loved putting the full Spiderman mask on and gallivanting around playing the part of this character out to save the world. Ta dum!  He especially loved the little webs that had been sewn into the underarms of the outfit and told me that his super powers were contained within those webs.  Who was I to disagree?

Of course, just as easily, I would watch Owen grab his favorite stuffed animal (Moosey Toosey, for sure!), place it in one of the strollers....and, begin role playing as the caretaker parent.  Then he and Audrey would stroll their "babies" around and around without a care in the world.

Everything holds so much fascination to us as children.  Why do we have to lose that wonderful vision of a magical world as we grow older?

Maybe Peter Pan had it right when he sang, "I'll never grow up....":

                                                       " ... 'Cause growing up is awfuller
                                                Than all the awful things that ever were.
I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up,


No sir,
Not I,
Not me,
So there!"

: )



No comments: