Thursday, July 13, 2006

Sisters, Sisters...

I am frequently asked, " So, what was it like to grow up with three sisters? ". "Interesting!" would be my quick reply. We are an interesting group...We try to always stand in birth order for all photo opportunities as though it is of great importance to let people know how we rank in age....oldest to youngest. (Ironically, I have posted the one picture that I have that is not in that usual pose.) This picture shows Marsha (oldest), Karen (baby), Sherri (#3 middle) and me (#2 middle).

As children we 'fought' like cats and dogs as we each tried to find our place in the family and get the attention that we needed. As adults we still carry some of those same "birth-order characteristics" from childhood...but, the fighting has ended and we are all very close. Oh, I'm not saying that occasional annoyances and aggravations don't pop up when we are all together....but, for the most part, we are a pretty peaceful and loving foursome.

We have all grown up to be very strong and independent women as our lives have taken very diverse directions. I sincerely believe that being a part of a family with four girls (pity my poor Dad!) allowed each of us to define what kind of women we would turn out to be. I am always amazed at how inherently different we all are. Of course, we have our similarities such as our artistic creativity and my mom's large eyes (three blue, one brown)...and some other "family physical traits" that I wouldn't dare put down in writing (!!!)...but we also have our very own unique looks and personalities. I should also note that the two of us with children each had two boys and no girls... I think that my Dad is still in shock over that one. The most important commonality is that we are forever connected in a wonderful way.

So, after more thought, my answer to the initial question that started this post would still be a resounding, "Interesting!"....but, I would add to that reply, "comforting"... because I know that there are at least three people out there who would have my back if I needed them...For this and so much more, I am grateful to be one of this special foursome....and honored to be their sister. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.