Friday, October 20, 2006

ImageChef.com - Create custom images

Well, I knew that it would have to happen sooner or later.

In 22 days (but, who's counting?) I will be heading down to S. Florida for my 40th High School Reunion!

So, how does one prepare for a reuniting of old friends?

Friends from that mysterious time in our growing up where we threw caution to the wind...where going steady was more important than world events...where decorating the homecoming float took precedence over our studies....where who you sat with in the lunchroom meant more than what you were eating that day....where football games were your life.....when a date to the local Howard Johnson's was cool....when "hanging out" was what we lived for...when wearing a circle pin held many different (and secretive) meanings...Actually, that pin made quite a statement and from what I remember, that little circle pin could make or break your reputation back then.

This was a very sheltered time where we seemingly had no cares other than passing our driving tests, getting a date to the Prom, or winning a Student Government election. It was probably a very self-centered time in our lives, even though we didn't see it that way at the time.

When I left for college after graduation, I remember this sense of leaving all of the past behind and starting a whole new era in my existence. It seemed then as if I never looked back...even though I did think about a lot of the people who meant so much to me in those high school days.

So, now I will finally have an opportunity to see so many of those people again....to possibly reestablish old friendships and maybe, even make some new ones.

I am curious to see the direction that everyone's lives have taken as they left the high school days behind. OK, in all honesty, I am anxious to see how the Homecoming queen looks now... how successful the class brain has become...and what about the captain of the football team...where has his life journey taken him? I am sure that it will be a time of sharing photos, stories, and dreams as we all try to make sense of where the 40 years have gone.

I have found myself perusing the old yearbook lately and studying the faces of the people that I shared those magical years with. What if I don't recognize a dear, old friend? What if they don't recognize me? Will we be directed to wear a name tag with our old yearbook photo? Aagh. How about those hairstyles back then? We thought that we looked so cute. Puleeeze. And, what were we thinking with those loafers with the penny stuck inside? Who can forget bleeding madras? ...probably our mothers who had to make sure and wash them separately so that they wouldn't run and turn the rest of the laundry a multitude of colors!

With the ability to email, I have reconnected with several dear friends. It has been a little preview to what the reunion will be like...and, it has been wonderful.

One friend has already warned me that when I walk in the room at the reunion I will think to myself: "Who are all of these old people?" I had to laugh as I realized that I will blend right in with them.....40 years later but still feeling like that giggly high schooler.

...Well, I guess that it is time to try and find that old circle pin again.... : )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about we divide H.S. graduates into Pessimists, Realists & Optimists. I think it's very possible to construct an argument that only optimists go to H.S. reunions.

Further deponent sayeth not.

Gattina said...

He,he, there you have something to come up to ! I still have contact to 3 girls in Germany since 1953 ! You can be sure that we changed a little (only a little) but as I had to move to Brussels when I were 14 and only spent 2 years there in a german college (I spoke no french) all people are spread over the whole world, as there were mostly children from Diplomates there. But from some I have seen pictures, the skinny minnie had become a fat bald man and most of the girls became quite fat mammas. Not all of them. I only recognized one on the picture. You will have a lot of fun ! I am sure. Sometimes I meet somebody here on the street and she says hello to me and I wonder who it is !
By the way I wrote down my adventure of staying alone in a 4* hotel the last day in Turkey.