Monday, January 22, 2007

"Taxing" Days Ahead

As I begin to organize (?) all of my 2006 paperwork, I am using a very advanced system called "floor filing".

Floor filing entails making various piles of papers spread out on the floor in order to categorize them correctly. This is the first step in the wonderfully unpleasant process of getting everything together in order to file my 2006 income tax statement.

From these groupings, I then write all of the figures down in my little "workbook" and hope that the accountant can make sense of it all. I have great expectations that Uncle Sam will have mercy on me this year and not take too much away! Ha! : )

This very effective (ha! again) means of organizing was met with Gizmo's approval as she found one of the piles to be a very comfy place to nap. (see picture below)

Smart cat.

...wish that I could do the same. : )

2 comments:

Jana said...

Realizing its a bit late for 2006, but here's a suggestion for 2007. Make an envelope for each category you have there on the floor (under the cat) and MAKE yourself file as the year goes along. When you get to tax season again, you'll have it already organized, and all you'll have to do is write it down. I have an Excel program that I keep everything tallied as the year goes along-- but I'm in business and its necessary. My accountant got a disc with the years income and expenses on it, plus my appointment book, an envelope of receipts and a hard copy of the years income. I pay in quartery taxes and will of course have to pay more, the priviledge of being self employed.
Good luck!!!

L. said...

Thanks, Jana. Dave would concur with you about my tax organizing!

I, too, am self-employed with my pottery business and have to pay quarterly taxes. Fun, huh?

I'm trying hard in 2007 to do better... : )