Thursday, March 29, 2007

Brussel Sprouts

EWWWW!

It used to be that the mere mention of the name of this vegetable would send me running.

However, after years of having "eat your veggies" ingrained in me, I have become less fearful of this strange, little, herbaceous globe. In fact, I believe that it is quite misunderstood.

It looks like a miniature cabbage...kind of cute....however, it also has the reputation of being quite malodorous when cooked. And, I am here to tell you that the above-mentioned notoriety is absolutely true.

That being said, after hearing of the wonderful health benefits one can derive from eating brussel sprouts, I decided to give them a chance...smell and all.

After cleaning and trimming them, I coated them in some olive oil and tossed them around with some seasonings. I then placed them on a cookie sheet and roasted them in the oven at 400 degrees for about 35 minutes. They turned brownish on the outside and some of the outer leaves even had a crispness to them...but, inside they were delightfully creamy and really good!

I had some left over so I refrigerated them and saved them for the next day.

Early the next morning I had a gentleman from Hunter-Douglas blinds come over to measure my sunroom windows. He was very nice as he did what he needed to do, but seemed a bit anxious to get going afterwards. I walked him outside and went to get my morning paper. When I returned to the house, I was shocked at the horrific odor that greeted me! The brussel sprouts had left their mark from the night before...

Because I hadn't left my house that day, I hadn't really noticed it. I guess that the odors become less obvious after being around them for a while.

But, the poor Hunter-Douglas man had no idea what hit him.

No wonder he was in such a hurry to leave!

Next time I roast brussel sprouts, I will make sure and air out the house before letting anyone in... : 0

No comments: