Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Walking with Sharon...

"A friend is a person with whom you dare to be yourself." Frank Crane

My friend, Sharon, is just that person in my life.

She has been joining me on some of my morning walks lately. This is such a treat for me for so many reasons...most importantly, we always have a wonderful time with each other with our endless talking, laughing, and general craziness.

Today was no exception.

Usually our topics range from the reality shows that we watched the night before to our little "aging" complaints, health issues, the latest gossip...and, of course, our children and grandkids.

Today, our topic of discussion was a bit more intelligent and thought-provoking as Sharon began to talk about more worldly issues like the War in Iraq...the responsibility of the Rap artists concerning the language that they use in their songs....The Don Imus situation... political issues...and so on.

In the midst of this relatively serious discussion, Sharon suddenly yelled out, "There's my Dad!" This startled me because both of Sharon's parents have passed away in the last few years.

But, she pointed to a beautiful cardinal that was flying by and said, "...there's my Dad, Gus."

It turns out that Sharon truly believes that her folks have "come back" as birds. She feels that the two of them come flying around her on occasion to let he know that they are okay.

So, as we walked along the street, we now had Gus and Ruthie right there with us. It was kind of nice. : )

Eventually, our conversation got back to the more important things in life (!!), like what Sanjaya has been up to now that he is no longer on American Idol....and what was the bachelor thinking last night when he gave out his roses on The Bachelor reality show....Ahhh, this was more like it.

We ended our walk with a discussion about where we were going to be buried when we died. We decided that we should get plots next to each other. That way we could continue our wonderful banter forever...with two very special cardinals flying above us.

6 comments:

Bert Bananas said...

I asked my wife where she wants to be buried. Her answer was, "Surprise me."

Apparently there is a lot of money is corpse parts. Some guy at UCLA is in big trouble because he let some company 'harvest' body parts from bodies donated to the medical school. The amount he banked in kick backs is considerable.

So I'm telling the kids to sell us to the highest bidder and avoid all that visit the grave crap.

My mom is still alive. My dad's ashes are in a box under our bed; he always liked to be where all the action is. But the vacuum cleaner scares him...

always abby said...

thank you for making me a special part of your blog.....allowing me to feel comfortable to talk about my "cardinals" is a gift that you give to me which is priceless....I love being your best friend...love, sharon

Princess said...

Funny but I have my own Sharon, too. Her name is Gloria. She started but somehow didn't get the groove of blogging. With her, I can just listen for she always has something profound to say about anything!
For us, it is the butterflies that come back.
Re the one day silence - I was tinkering with the icon last Sunday and didn't know how to change the date so I decided, why not! But I'll be with you again, as promised on the 30th.

L. said...

Bertsky....only you could make me laugh about 'death'!

Abby, 'ditto'!

Princess....'butterflies'....I like that!

NanNan said...

You have a beautiful grandson!! and a truly special friend-- I know exactly how Sharon feels, it's just something you absolutely know, with certitude -- our loved ones are always with us!!!

L. said...

Nannan....thanks for stopping by and for your sweet comment!
: )