Sunday, May 27, 2007

Grammie, the Babysitter

Tonight I sent my son and my daughter-in-law out to see a movie while I handled things on the homefront.

I had my list of instructions and I was ready and confident as they drove away.

I fed Owen his oatmeal and fruit first and this went pretty well. But, then there was bottle number one that I needed to make sure that he finished.

After a couple of minutes, he seemed to be uninterested in taking in any more...but, I kept looking at my list of instructions that said:"Make sure and get him to finish the bottle!".

Eventually I stopped trying to give him the bottle and decided to let him play a bit. This was so wonderful as he straddled my lap and giggled and bounced as we played "horsie" for several minutes. Owen's laugh is so contagious and we were both having a great time....UNTIL...

There was an odor that began to be apparent and I hurriedly took him into the bedroom and changed that diaper. whew...no wonder he didn't want any more to drink...

So, I put him down to play for a bit more (he is crawling all over the place!) and then decided to try to get him to finish the bottle..As I lifted him up in the air my fingers felt something that shouldn't have been there...and I realized that the kid had pooped again...and it was pretty much covering him from head to toe!

I quickly undressed him and decided this might be an appropos time for a bath! Fortunately, he enjoys being bathed... so that was good. Unfortunately, he doesn't like being taken out of the tub so he cried quite a bit. But, eventually I got him dried off and happy again...and into his pj's.

At this point I was exhausted and was remembering why we have babies when we are young!

Back to the second bottle...he relaxed and began to doze off to dreamland when Oscar, the dog, spotted another animal outside and began to loudly bark. At this point my serene Owen began hysterically crying!

I checked my watch to see when the kids would be due home...but realized that I was definitely on my own here.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I put the dog outside for a bit...and got Owen and Oscar calmed down once again.

Just as I got him burped and into his crib for the night, Adam and Jenny pulled up into the garage.

"How was it, Mom?" they inquired.

With a big grin on my face I answered, "A piece of cake..." : )

2 comments:

always abby said...

so glad to hear you are having the wonderful time that I expected you to......good work on the poop machine clean-up and bath......enjoy this evening....love, abby

Beverly said...

I LOVE reading about your time with Owen. I know you are enjoying every moment that you have with him.