Sunday, July 08, 2007

A "word" to the wise....

Dave and I played Scrabble last night. He consistently ends up the victor in these little "friendly" competitions.

But, last night was different...

I was gloating as I easily filled the board with my double letter, double and triple word points. There was no stopping me!

Dave was not happy...he takes his game playing very seriously and he was behind me in points most the evening. I was pretty much blowing him away.

Little did I know that he had a "Z" and a "Q" in his hand as we neared the end of the game and had no place to put them...

In my naivete' I didn't imagine that he would resort to a desperation attempt in the final minutes!

Suddenly, he was using his high point letters and racking up points. It looked like he was about to have a real come-from-behind victory...and I was quite impressed.

When all was said and done, I still came out the victor....but he had closed a 70+ point deficit to come within 3 points of beating me.

Basking in my glory, I decided to take my camera out and document this win. Looking over the board, I suddenly spotted some discrepancies in some of the words.

"What is this word?" I asked.

Had I not noticed this before????

When questioned, he finally came clean as he laughed hysterically. He had been "borrowing" letters from the board to help him make some of those last few words! Hoping that I wouldn't notice, he surreptitiously snuck a few of the letters away allowing him to use his "Z" and his "Q" and rack up the points.

I couldn't believe that this sweet man would resort to such tactics!

Trust me, I will now be installing surveillance cameras around the game table for the next time....So, watch out, Dave, the jig is up!

No comments: