Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Update on Smart Balance popcorn...

I just heard back from the Smart Balance people about the contents of their microwave popcorn. (see my September 6th post) I had written to them because of my concerns over the latest news concerning the possibility of toxic fumes from the chemical diacetyl. This is found in the butter seasonings typicaly found in microwave popcorn.

Here is what I received back from them via email:

Thank you for your interest in our Smart Balance product(s).We understand your concern and are happy to be able to advise you that we do not use diacetyl in our Smart Balance Popcorns.

Joan Dippolito, Consumer RelationsSmart Balance Inc.

Ms. Dippolito was a woman of few words....but they were comforting words to me and my fellow Smart Balance popcorn addicts!

So, looks like it's back to the microwave for me...

Yum. : )

1 comment:

Jana said...

Well - glad to hear you weren't being poisoned, but sorry you aren't going to give up the micro, at least not yet!!! I remember days before the microwave, but my daughter doesn't and she had a really hard time understanding how I could get along without mine, how WOULD she heat bottles at my house? I told her just like I did when she was a baby - on the stove!! We used cloth diapers too because Amanda was allergic to disposables.