Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Do you believe in fate?

A blog that I read quite often asked the above question of its readers.

Do I believe in fate, destiny, predetermination, B'sherit, karma, kismet....or whatever you want to call it?

I used to struggle with the concept: "It was meant to be" or "Things happen for a reason".

How could something be meant to be when its consequences weren't pleasant or good? Was my divorce "meant to be"? When a loved one dies, was that "meant to be"? Are wars and suffering "happening for a reason"?

This question cannot be answered with a simple yes or no as it is way too complex....especially on a world-wide scale.

So, I am going to break it down to believing in fate as it relates to me on a personal level while keeping away from any religious beliefs and just speaking on an individual emotional and spiritual level.

I do believe that in my life things have happened "for a reason". Many of the lessons that I have learned that have made me a better and happier person in the long run were a result of events (some good-some not so good) that have occurred to me in my lifetime.

Certain people have come into my life unexpectedly who I later realized had a huge impact on my being. The purpose in that acquaintance made itself known much later on. In the same way, certain events have occurred that made me change my course and later turned out to be for the better.

Even after an earth shattering mid-life divorce, I have come to realize that it was probably "meant to be" in that I was on a path that was not bringing me happiness. I had actually "lost" myself and some of my inner joy and the divorce allowed me to "find" the real me once again.

The fact that the graphic design class I wanted to take was filled 20 or so years ago and I signed up for an available pottery class in the interim was fate. After taking the same class for three full sessions in a row I found my passion: clay. Now, I am a studio potter doing what I love as I create hand crafted items and sell them locally. Graphic design began changing right after that time as more and more companies were using computerized graphics and individual artists weren't as necessary as they had been.

I do believe that we are sometimes given choices and are able to step in when fate comes our way. We can either choose to follow our instincts and take a chance...or not. So, maybe fate and personal actions are really the combination that affects our future?

Fate or luck? Coincidence or good fortune? Risk taking or being cautious? I still can't really give a definitive answer to so many of those questions, but I do know that fate has molded me into the person that I am today in so many ways.

How about you?

No comments: