Wednesday, December 12, 2007

My neighbor, Bob...

"A good neighbor is a priceless treasure..." Chinese Proverb

I smile as I look over these pictures of my dear neighbor, Bob, visiting with my family during Thanksgiving.

Bob and his wife, Betty, are the "pioneers" of the neighborhood. He will happily tell you stories of how desolate this area used to be many years ago when they first moved into their home. He tells of wild animals roaming around this very wooded section of town in those early days. The roads weren't even paved when they first moved here. He talks proudly about how everything has grown around him now...and how beautiful it still is.

Bob has been my neighbor for the last 27+ years or so. He has watched my two boys grow up....he has lived through all of our house renovations....he has had to do some patching up after our street was hit pretty hard by some tornadoes several years ago.... (The tornado actually blew several of our pine trees over onto his yard...doing most of the damage...and leaving our home pretty much untouched!)...he has shared many joyous moments with me and my family...watched my boys go off to college and then later on marry....and, he has cried with me when my marriage ended 6 years ago.

Whenever I would leave town, Bob was always there to keep an eye on the house for me. When Gizmo, the cat, was still alive, he would be her caretaker when I was gone. He would gather up my mail and papers every day so that the house would not look unattended...and, he continues to do that to this day.

Most importantly I know that I can count on him whenever I am needing his help with something. He is a total handyman and knows so much about so many household things. He also can change the oil and filters in my car when needed. I guess that here in the South he would be called "...a good ole boy". Bob is most at home when in his favorite overalls and Auburn cap which he proudly wears.

He is the only other person who has the keys to my house besides Dave, and he knows all of my alarm codes. He is family to me and I would trust him with my life.

He brings his beautiful grandchildren over to swim in my pool during the summer months. I love to watch him with children...he is amazing.

You know how certain people just have a way with young people? Well, that is Bob. The kids tend to cling to him when they are around.

And, that was why I snapped these pictures of Bob with Owen (my little "drooler" which I believe is from his teething phase!). He walked into the house and immediately had Owen under his spell as he sat down with him on his lap and began to read from a book. Owen was mesmerized and totally taken in by Bob's gentle nature. The pictures tell it all.

I don't know what I would do without this dear, dear neighbor.

He is truly a blessing in my life.

1 comment:

Beverly said...

What a wonderful neighbor to have!