Tuesday, December 04, 2007

A Special 8 Days

(one of my pottery menorahs ready for the first night's candle lighting)

Happy Chanuka, Hanukkah, Hanaka, Hanukah, Chanukkah, Chanukah!

Tonight marks the start of the Jewish Festival of Lights and it will continue for the next eight days. While it is not one of the major holidays in the Jewish faith, it is certainly a time of celebration and festivity. A candle will be lit on the menorah for each night and gifts will be exchanged....potato pancakes (latkes) will be eaten and the spinning tops (dreidels) will be played with.

However, along with the celebrating, this time of year always brings about discussion on the correct spelling of this winter holiday.

It seems as if part of the reason for this confusion may be due to the fact that there is no exact English translation of the Hebrew word for "Chanukah".

Some people wonder if the various spellings are indicative of different holidays....but the answer to that is "no"....all are the same holiday....just with different letter arrangements.

Confusing? Yes....But, no matter how one spells it....Best wishes for a happy and joyous Chanukah to all who will be celebrating tonight!

: )

3 comments:

JeanMac said...

Best wishes for sure and thank you for commenting on my "whiny" post:)

Beverly said...

I wish you a happy holiday season. I love the traditions of the Jewish faith.

I hope that you find a good flight to see Owen. I was very fortunate to find a good fare right to Charlottesville which is just 25 minutes from Ella. I usually fly in to Richmond which is an hour and a half away. So this time, I didn't rent a car, which saves me some dollars as well.

Ella is just growing up so fast. I'm so glad that I've been able to see her so often. I do hope you get up to see Owen again soon.

Rhea said...

I forgot to get the candles but I will observed the holiday by eating potato latkes.