Thursday, January 10, 2008

I am woman, hear me roar!?

I have not made up my mind yet regarding the Presidential election this year. That being said, I have been quite dismayed by the treatment that a certain female candidate has been given by the press so far.

Even though I try to stay away from politics on my blog, I felt the need to express my opinion today about this matter.

This cartoon was on the editorial page of the newspaper today.

It portrays much of what I feel has been going on with Hillary Clinton. Love her or hate her, she can't seem to "win" when it comes to how people view her. If she comes across strong, she is called "emotionless" and "distant". Yet, the minute that she feels some emotion and allows us to see her vulnerability....she is slammed for being a "hysterical female"!

No male candidate would ever be under such intense scrutiny for showing/not showing his emotions! C'mon people!!

We sometimes forget that these public servants are mere human beings...they are generally quite passionate about what they believe in..and, behind this passion are some strong emotions.

I think that it is time to look beyond personalities and begin to scrutinize the issues that these candidates are espousing. We need to educate ourselves as we concentrate on those things that we believe in...those things that are needing change....those things that will be important to our children and their children in the future...and to seek the candidates who have the strength necessary to lead us in the right direction.

*roar* : )

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Have not visited in a while and had to catch up. I enjoyed your NY resolutions and I had some of the same..baking bread, learning about politicians, get organized. If I only did the last one I could do the others. I loved!!!the picture of Owen sticking his little foot up in the air waiting to put on his shoe. I hope you have a great year and know with another baby coming, it will be great...Hope Dave's mom is better.