Sunday, January 06, 2008

ups and downs

As I was tearing through a new package of "Greek Isle Pita Chips" while leaving the grocery store today, I felt such a sense of delight.

The temperatures had risen to the high 60's and the sun was shining. There was a gentle breeze. I smiled as I watched the shoppers enjoying these higher than normal temperature.

I got home, put the groceries away and went for my walk. Along the way, I spotted my friend Cathy sitting in her yard enjoying the weather as well as one of her adorable granddaughters. I sat and visited with them for a bit...feeling a bit envious that she has all of her children and grandchildren living here in Birmingham...but, thoroughly enjoying my time with them.

Heading home I began to think about the big pot of soup that I was going to make for dinner tonight. I had purchased all of the necessary ingredients...carrots, celery, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, beans, etc. and was looking forward to slow cooking a big pot of soup for later consumption. Mmmm

Dave had gone home earlier to spend some time in his own house taking care of things that had been long-neglected. He was also having to lick his wounds as his beloved Pittsburgh Steelers went down in defeat last night during the wildcard playoffs.

Suddenly, he received a phone call from his family in Delaware. His mom, who had been bedridden for several days with what seemed like a case of bronchitis, had been taken to the hospital where she was diagnosed, and admitted, with double pneumonia.

Suddenly, the rest of the day paled in comparison to this latest grim news.

We await more news from Delaware as she is being cared for and treated with the necessary meds. We will certainly have her in our prayers tonight.

Oh, the roller coaster of LIFE....

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Yes, the events of a day can certainly change things, can't they.

I've just spent a delightful weekend with an almost five-month old baby in my house. What lovely house guests, and what an adorable baby. Makes me miss my Ella. I'll probably get up to see her in February.

Poor Pittsburgh. I was hoping they would go further...Tampa Bay, too. Tell Dave he's not along in his misery.