Sunday, February 10, 2008

morning thoughts....

As I sit at my dad's computer in S. Florida this morning, I felt the need to write a quick update about this last week.

It has been an emotional roller coaster of the most difficult kind.

Dad is still in intensive care after putting his almost 90 year old body through two serious operations as well as contracting an infection that does not respond to antibiotics.

What started as pneumonia then became a severe lung infection that could only be stopped by surgery...a period of beginning to improve until an emergency perforated colon surgery occurred two days ago.

At this point we were told by the surgeon that "he couldn't survive without the surgery....and he might not make it through the surgery".

Those words will forever ring in my ears.

However, as I sit here today, this man of great strength continues to fight...and amaze even the doctors that are taking such wonderful care of him.

As of last night, they had removed his breathing tube and he was able to breathe on his own. His vital signs were all good...and the prognosis is looking much more positive.

I always knew that my dad was an incredible man....now he has proven himself to be a true warrior.

...so much more to write, my dear blogging friends....but, as Mom and I head to the ICU this morning, I simply ask for your prayers and good thoughts.

xoxo Grammie

3 comments:

Moobear said...

Hi Grammie,
I was sorry to hear that your dad was sick, but glad to get an update and I see he has been through so much! I will certainly keep your dad as well as the entire family in my thoughts and prayers. Take care of yourself and know your blogging friends are here for you!

Claudia

Beverly said...

It is very hard to see our parents go through so much. I would think of how she used to care for me, and now was my time to care for her. I am sure you are relieved that he is off the ventilator and he certainly sounds strong to me. I will remember you all in my prayers. Take care...

Beverly said...

I was wondering how everything was going. Thanks for updating us on your dad. It is hard to watch them be so ill.

Sending loving thoughts and prayers your way, Grammie, and to your mom and sisters too, and, of course, your dad.