Wednesday, May 14, 2008

American Idol belated update

We are almost at the end of the show and I realized that I have been remiss in posting my thoughts on American Idol this season.

It has been interesting to watch each journey that the contestants have taken in their quest to win the title, "American Idol"!

My original two favorites were Brooke and Jason. Sugary sweet Brooke never really peaked, but remained a crowd favorite for quite a while. The "star" potential just didn't seem to be there with her...even though her smooth voice was lovely to listen to.

And, Jason...oh, Jason...what can I say about you? I believe that he said it all when he remarked that his "inexperience" began to show as he outwardly lacked enthusiasm while forgetting lyrics. At times he almost seemed to be "mocking" the show as he always had that mischevious grin on his adorable face..I believe that Jason will find his niche out there...his soft, and beautiful voice is easy on the ears. I have often remarked that I would be one of the first to purchase a CD if he made one in the future.

So, we are down to Syesha and the two David's.

I am amazed at Syesha's metamorphosis these last few weeks. She has gone from a seemingly unpolished singer with a bit of stage fright to a wonderfully confident and beautiful singer. I can see her on Broadway some day belting out songs...she would be amazing in that venue.

Now, the two David's.

David Archuleta has been dealing with a lot of controversy with his over-bearing father. I can't help but wonder if that is why he always seems to have this "deer caught in headlights" look about him. Too much pressure on this sensitive 17 year old? I think, maybe. His voice doesn't fit his look. I sometimes look away from the tv when he sings....and really get an appreciation for this incredible gift that he has. But, I think that he needs to get some maturity under his belt before he falls into the "star whirlwind".

So, that leaves David Cook. They dubbed him "The Rocker"...but, to me he has proven time and time again that he has a tremendous voice that can sing ballads as well as funky rock tunes. He is the real thing in my opinion. He sings with great emotion and passion...and, I do believe that he is ready for the crazy world of being the next "American Idol".

I guess that we will just have to wait and see what America thinks...

Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Beverly said...

I never got started watching American Idol, but since Syesha is from our area here, excitement has been high. The Fox affiliate in Tampa has updated regularly. Last week they had a special day for her here in Bradenton and then in Sarasota.

It doesn't look like she'll be the winner, but she hasn't lost either.

Beverly said...

You took the words out of my mouth...
I really liked Brooke, too, but she did not seem like what I think they promote. I love David the rocker. He has such a unique voice.

Clara....in TN said...

Awww Grammie, I love David A. I think he is a winner already. He is so young and innocent. Maybe if he wins he can teach his dad a thing or two. I heard yesterday the producers of the show was giving him a hard time because of his dad. Well, that isn't fair. His dad is not the one competing. I hope he wins. That will make him grow up in a hurry!