Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Hair today....gone tomorrow?

"Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hair stylist you like." ~(Author Unknown but, I am sure it must have been a woman who said it!)

"The hair is the richest ornament of women." ~Martin Luther

"How can I control my life when I can't control my hair?" ~Author Unknown

"Hair brings one's self-image into focus; it is vanity's proving ground. Hair is terribly personal, a tangle of mysterious prejudices." ~Shana Alexander

"What do you think of my new hairstyle?" I ask Dave.

Puzzled, he responds..."Nice, but it doesn't look any different to me."

This same conversation occurs every time that he sees me after a trip to the beauty parlor for a color, highlite and cut....or three hour "beautifying" treatment as I like to call it.

I part with every hair on my head very cautiously....so even when a snippet of hair is cut, or a color is tweaked slightly...it is a new and very different hairstyle to me.

In my 59 years I still find change difficult...especially when it comes to my hair. I don't know why this is because the one good thing about changing your hairstyle is that it WILL eventually grow out and can be changed back to its original state!

I know that I must make my hairdresser crrrrazy each time that I come for my 6 week redo.

When I went yesterday I brought an old picture of a haircut/color that I especially liked so that we could try it again. She looked at the picture with that "knowing" smile and said "ok, no problem".

After styling my hair for the past 10 years, she knows me well enough to hear what I have to say and then do what she thinks will look best! (and she is always right!)

I guess that bringing in a picture of myself is better than bringing in a gorgeous movie star's picture and asking for that hairstyle while saying "This is what I would like to look like"!

The reality is that we know only too well that we don't have that movie star's face to go with the haircut/color we want and no matter what is done to us....we will never look like that! Even the best hairstylist in the world (like mine!) can't perform miracles, ya know.

But, a girl can dream, can't she?

No comments: