Thursday, July 10, 2008

Stick drawings and memories....

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past." -Madame Chiang Kai-shek

It's garage sale time.

I am determined to clear out some of the old things around the house and in the attic. Things that are no longer of use to me...but, that can be a "treasure" to someone else.

It is a difficult venture, but a necessary one. Too much of my "space" is filled with "things" that I do not need anymore. I think that this exercise will be very freeing.

However, it has forced me to go through piles of old memories and this can get very emotional. I was a "saver" when my boys were growing up. If their name appeared anywhere, I kept it.

So, today, I went through stacks of old report cards, test scores, newspaper articles...and, other memorabilia from the past.

What I found was priceless...for example, seeing these old drawings by Jeffrey (top two) and Adam (bottom two) gave me the strangest feeling as I thought about the fact that they are grown men now....Adam a father of two....and, Jeffrey about to be a first time dad.

Their children will be making these same stick figures some day...and their parents will proudly save everything that they do...until they have grown up, moved out...and started families of their own.... Then, with tears in their eyes, they will box it all up .....mail it all out....and realize that the circle of life moves on so quickly....and they will wonder where the years went....

...just like I am doing today.

1 comment:

Beverly said...

Those drawings are wonderful. I love the knees on the one. I would frame them and give them to them for a birthday present or something. Too dear.