Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Annual "Plump Pumpkin Plundering and Piercing"!

"When witches go riding,and black cats are seen,the moon laughs and whispers,‘tis near Halloween.~Author Unknown

Get out your sharpest knives....it's pumpkin carving time again!

Dave and I have a Halloween tradition and that is to cut our pumpkins together. The first step is to purchase some nice, plump pumpkins that have some personality even before the first cut is made. Here are this year's two. I picked out the one in the back....he begrudgingly took the other one. Ah, I can feel the competition already starting! : O

Dave is very exacting when he does his pumpkin carving and comes prepared with printouts of possible designs. Below is this year's chosen printout that he is cutting ever so carefully to get it positioned on the pumpkin just right. He cuts out his "design" and then carefully tapes it to the front of the pumpkin (I hope that you novices are taking notes here! ha ha) and draws it out. I, on the other hand, just draw and carve. (I have many, many years of experience in pumpkin carving!! At this point, you might call me a "Professional Pumpkin Person"!) ha

The top is cut off and then the fun begins (sarcasm intended here!). This part involves cleaning out the messy, stringy, insides an scraping away as much of the pulp as you can so as to make the carving part easier. And, of course, we must separate the seeds for future roasting. So, as we continue to scrape out the insides I have to put in this quote with apologies to all of the good men out there...including you, Dave: : )

"Men are like pumpkins. It seems like all the good ones are either taken or they've had everything scraped out of their heads with a spoon." : )

1 comment:

Winifred said...

Thanks for these tips. Love the design.

I've never carved a pumpkin before in fact I've never eaten pumpkin before. But if I ever need to carve one I know how.

What do you do with the roasted seeds?