Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Why blog?

"A blog is a personal diary. A daily pulpit. A collaborative space. A political soapbox. A breaking-news outlet. A collection of links. Your own private thoughts. Memos to the world." ~Author Unknown

I casually glanced at my blog "sitemeter" today and found out that since its inception, my blog has had 17,865 visitors and 26,308 page views. Wow. What an honor to know that so many people have stopped by to read this "continuing conversation" of mine.

Blogging has become so natural for me now that I don't really think about all of the reasons that I do it anymore. It is just a part of my routine...and, I love it.

But, many of my non-blogging friends are still confused astounded when they hear that I do this daily and continue to ask me "Why?".

My answer is complex and simple all at the same time.

First of all, blogging has connected me with so many fabulously interesting and thought-provoking people. In our little "blogworld" we are safe to share a part of ourselves without fear of being judged. And, as a bonus, we all become friends...unique friends who follow each other's lives daily....We get concerned when one of "us" is not well, we mourn our losses together....and we cheer and applaud when something special occurs in one of our lives. Or, we just read the posts and smile at each other's "wisdoms".

As a grandma I can post a myriad of pictures of my grandkids without shame. And, I delight in seeing the photos of other blogger's families as well. We can literally watch our children and grandchildren "grow up" online. Having this "extended family" is wonderful!

I also find it so cathartic to express myself this way. It is a modern day diary for me. I can talk about my past, my joys, my concerns, my quirks and other silly habits, my family, my friends....my life...knowing that someone out there is feeling some of the very same feelings and can understand...and, maybe even grow from my experiences...I know that I do from theirs.

Blogging doesn't discriminate...anyone can participate. We all have so much to learn from each other and I love that aspect of it. We may have different views on things, but we respect each other's right to voice their own opinion.

In a way, being a part of the blogging community has opened my mind while making this vast world seem smaller and more intimate. I know that I genuinely care about each and every person whose posts I read and who comment on mine. We are connected. We hug each other with our words. With all of the craziness out there, isn't it nice to know that we have each other?

I have this "dream" about all of the people who I have gotten to know through blogging getting together some day and meeting in person....

Wouldn't that be fun?! : )

xoxo

4 comments:

Winifred said...

You've said it all and so eloquently too.

Beverly said...

I would love to meet my new blogging buddies....
You took the words right out of my mouth....You express it so well...

Beverly said...

My son is the one who got me started blogging. And it has been a wonderful experienc, as you say.

There are times when I think about stopping for a while, but I would miss the online friends so much...and Owen and Audrey and Celia.

Granny Annie said...

A group of blog friends did get together this summer in Nebraska for Blogstock '08. They are having it again next year I believe and it truly seems like fun. Tomorrow there is a strong possibility we will meet one of my blog friends from Georgia in person in Tulsa, OK. Then in November we will meet my blog friend from Arizona. I find myself talking about so-an-so and my family will say "who?" and I have to say blog friends which sounds silly to them but simply means friend to me.